Job Vacancy – Archivist
The Discovery Programme is currently recruiting an Archivist full-time for a period of 24 months.
Nature of Employment: This is a full time fixed-term appointment for 24 months (subject to successful completion of a six-month probationary period and satisfactory performance in post).
Salary: In the region of €37,068.00 – €37,716.00 per annum (that is, Point 2 – Point 3 Archivist Scale 65180, with annual increments, pro rata, on that scale on satisfactory performance in post)
Current Location: Merchants House, Merchants Quay, D08 K3KD, Ireland.
Completed Applications to be received by: No later than 12 noon Thursday 16 March 2023
Expected employment start date: Preferably no later than 02 May 2023
The successful candidate will have a lead role in developing and supporting the maintenance of the Discovery Programme’s records, and thus provide meeting-point between the Discovery Programme and the wider public, key sectoral stakeholders, researchers and general interest groups. At the present time the Discovery Programme is involved in several major archaeological research projects which include the study of the impacts of climate change on our coastal heritage, and the use of new technologies for archaeological survey and discovery. As part of its ongoing work to share the results of its research, the Discovery Programme is seeking to progress a series of publications and research materials arising from its past projects, which will include publication in hard copy and digital formats.
The initial focus of activity for the company Archivist will be around two key work areas: (a) the review and updating of archive and records management within the Discovery Programme, principally to facilitate the increased use of digital records for line-of-business activities, and (b) the preparation of records for deposition in statutory archives and other appropriate repositories, including the Digital Repository of Ireland. Following this initial phase of work, the company Archivist will be required to assist their colleagues in the bedding-in of any new records management arrangements, and to manage a workflow of archive depositions on behalf of the organisation.
The company Archivist will be expected to initiate new connections with institutions, practitioners and researchers, and build upon existing networks to increase the profile of the Discovery Programme and to continue meaningful development of the organisation’s archives and access to those archives.
Role and Responsibilities
The key activities in respect of the post of company Archivist are set out below:
- Survey records held by the Discovery Programme in-house and elsewhere and examine them with a view to making recommendations concerning preservation or disposal.
- Give advice on, and lead in best practice for the organisation about, management of records, developing training and other programmes with regard to records management.
- Lead in the development of an electronic records management system for the Discovery Programme.
- Work closely with the Discovery Programme’s Collections Manager to ensure the appropriate compilation, maintenance and deposition of records associated with research activities including archaeological excavation.
- Make arrangements for the transfer of records to the National Archives of Ireland and appropriate repositories and advising on the work to be done in preparing records for transfer.
- Arranging, listing and packing records and archives; creation of a range of archival finding aids in accordance with accepted international and institutional standards for use by colleagues, researchers and the public including publication on the Discovery Programme website.
- Participate as appropriate in education and outreach activities, including giving presentations and participating in the compilation of exhibitions and publications concerning the work of the Discovery Programme.
- Assist in processing requests for access to and re-use of records held by or formed by the Discovery Programme.
- Liaise with and, where appropriate, train of other staff engaged in duties relating to any of the activities described above.
- Assist in the procurement of contracts for services and supplies in relation to ongoing archive management and records depositions and monitoring the performance and outcome of contracts.
- Answer correspondence, attend meetings, write reports, assist in the compilation of the Discovery Programme’s Annual Report and, where requested present to the Board of the Discovery Programme, concerning the functions and activities referred to above.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Chief Executive Officer or their nominee as appropriate to this post.
The Discovery Programme is seeking an individual who is highly motivated, focused upon results while at the same time respecting and following instruction and processes that relate to their work. We are looking for someone who has:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent practical skills in the delivery of archive and record management using paper and digital resources;
- Strong organisation and time management skills.
- Sound academic and professional knowledge about archives and records management;
- Demonstration of successful project completion;
- Accuracy and attention to detail essential;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well with others including a wide range of audiences that include specialist practitioners and general interest groups;
- Ability to prioritise work load;
- Flexibility and adaptability in the context of remote working arrangements; and
- Have sufficient proficiency and awareness in written and spoken English to enable them to perform the duties of the post.
How to Apply
Applications must be made by submitting an email, with the title of the position entered into the subject field of the email, to email@example.com no later than 12 noon Thursday 16 March 2023.
Attached to that email, applicants must include Application Form COM_2023_001, along with:
- A short cover letter / personal statement, no more than 500 words 12pt single spaced text, outlining why you wish to be considered for this post and why you believe your skills, experience and values meet the requirements of the position.
- A comprehensive CV detailed as relevant to the position but to be no more than three pages in length. The first page of the CV should include a summary biography. NB: Please ensure that your CV does not include any personal information that is not relevant to the post being applied for.
- Completion of the information fields set out on the application form