Job Vacancy: Project Archaeologist TII ALS Machine Learning Project / ARIADNEplus Project
The Discovery Programme: Centre for Archaeology Innovation Ireland is seeking to fill the post of Project Archaeologist, with two funded research projects (TII ALS Machine Learning Project / ARIADNEplus).
- Nature of Employment: This is a fixed-term and fixed-purpose full time post, for a period of twenty months
- Salary: Starting at €32,821 per annum (pro rata) (Point 1 Archaeologist Scale 65175, with annual increments on that scale on satisfactory performance in post)
- Current Location: Merchants House, Merchants Quay, D08 K3KD, Ireland.
- Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer or their nominee
- Expected employment start date: Preferably no later than 17 January 2021
TII ALS Machine Learning Project
The project is a 2 year funded project under the TII Research Call in 2021 and is being led by the Discovery Programme in partnership with Remote Sensing Centre, Research Centre of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts (ZRC SAZU) and Bias Variance Labs
The research project aims to develop a user-friendly software tool capable of automatically detecting archaeological features from LiDAR data using machine learning, specifically deep learning algorithms. This will include the development of a ‘trained’ machine learning model that can automatically detect three classes of earthwork monuments from LiDAR data. The software tool will initially be designed for TII staff and to archaeological consultants appointed to TII projects and subsequently be made more widely available as free and opensource software to provide opportunities for future collaboration and development.
The ARIADNEplus project is a four year extension of the previous EU Funded ARIADNE Integrating Activity, which successfully integrated archaeological data infrastructures in Europe, indexing in its registry about 2,000,000 datasets. ARIADNEplus builds on the ARIADNE results, extending and supporting the research community that the previous project created and further developing the relationships with key stakeholders such as the most important European archaeological associations, researchers, heritage professionals, national heritage agencies and so on. The new enlarged partnership of ARIADNEplus covers all of Europe. It now includes leaders in different archaeological domains like palaeoanthropology, bioarchaeology and environmental archaeology as well as other sectors of archaeological sciences, including all periods of human presence from the appearance of hominids to present times.
Full details of the position can be viewed in the candidate pack.
How to Apply
Applications must be made by submitting an email, with the title of the position entered into the subject field of the email, to email@example.com
Attached to that email, applicants must include Application Form COM_2021_001, along with:
- A short cover letter / personal statement, no more than 500 words 12pt single spaced text, outlining why you wish to be considered for this post and why you believe your skills, experience and values meet the requirements of the position.
- A comprehensive CV, detailed as relevant to the position but to be no more than three pages in length. The first page of the CV should include a summary biography.
- Completion of the information fields set out on the application form
Applications must be received prior to the closing date and time stated, that is 12 GMT noon on 10/12/2021