Job Vacancy – Digital Archivist
POST OF DIGITAL ARCHIVIST TO WORK ON THE CREATIVE IRELAND-FUNDED PILOT PROJECT OSCAIL: A CULTURAL DATA PROGRAMME FOR IRELAND
Employer: The Discovery Programme: Centre for Archaeology and Innovation Ireland
OSCAIL: A Cultural Data Programme for Ireland is a long-term project initiated by the Heritage Council and the Discovery Programme that aims to draw on the wealth and potential of Ireland’s archaeological archives and begin a dialogue among institutions holding archives on a long-term digital strategy.
The pilot project funded under the Creative Ireland Programme Scheme 2018/2019 for the period October 2018 to April 2019 involves:
• Connecting agencies managing archaeological collections in Ireland (artefacts, paper files and reports, maps, registers, drawings) to discuss the archival, conservation and technical issues involved. A seminar will be held in February 2019 to coordinate this dialogue.
• Seeking information from national and international agencies with particular expertise including DCU Fiontar (Logainm), DANS (Netherlands), Archaeological Data Service (UK)
• Initiating a pilot project with the National Museum of Ireland to assess the practicalities of conserving and digitising a complex archive
• Producing a video/podcast with the Creative Ireland team on the value of archaeological archives
Digital Archivist’s Tasks
The tasks to be undertaken by the Digital Archivist include the following:
• Reviewing and assessing cataloguing procedures and practices in the context of digitisation
• Analysing catalogue data, controlled vocabularies and thesauri at collection, institutional and sectoral levels
• Engaging with a variety of project partners and collaborators in the archaeological sector
• Communicating project outcomes orally and in a final report to be submitted to Creative Ireland at the end of the project
Candidates’ Qualifications and Experience
Candidates will be required to:
• Hold a recognised qualification in Archives and Records Management or Library and Information Management or a closely related field
• Have experience in archival cataloguing and collection management
• Have experience of digitisation, including metadata creation and editing, in the cultural heritage sector
• Be familiar with principles and approaches in data management and data governance
• Be available to take up the post and to engage in the project immediately
The Discovery Programme is offering a Contract for Services to the successful applicant. Payments of €2,500 per month will be made on the basis of keeping to the project schedule as agreed with Creative Ireland to run until the end of April 2019. Professional Services Withholding Tax will be deducted from all payments at a rate of 20%. The applicant must supply their Tax/PPS number.
Applications should be made to Ms Aoife Kane (email@example.com) by 1pm on Friday 4th January 2019. Applications should consist of a brief CV and a covering letter outlining the applicant’s experience in the subject of digital archives, writing reports and completing projects on time.
All applications will be assessed on the basis of the criteria outlined above and a short telephone interview may be held.